Monday, September 28, 2009

Ferrier


Milva met her new ferrier today. I have decided to go with barehoof as long as it is possible and hopefully forever. Ulla seems to be a nice person, very patience and understanding. I have to look at the hooves more tomorrow to decide if she did a good work or not. I know I´m sometimes too picky but if it comes to hooves you shouldn´t make any compromises! I have to admit that I´m fully convinced about Ulla yet. I wish she would have some better education than she does. What I undestood she learned with a swedish guy. But I have never heart of him before...
Milva was a bit antzy today and didn´t want to stand still. She hasn´t met Ulla before and I think that´s why. Also Ulla took a long time to fix the hooves and Milva was getting unpatience. We did the hooves in the riding house which was also unusual for Milva. I definitely have to make some more research about barefoot hooves.
Before the ferrier came I worked on some direct and indirect rein.

2 comments:

  1. I hope Milva will be happy barefoot. Star is very lame at the moment and it may be due to her being barefoot. She has bruises on the hooves. Poor thing...
    I think barefoot is good when your horse lives on soft ground without too many stones and that you ride on sand or grass, but not on roads, etc.
    I hope Star will recover soon, she's been lame for almost 3 weeks now and it doesn't look like it's getting better. I may have to call the vet for the 3rd time! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no sophie! that really sucks! i´m not sure about the barefoot thing... the ferrier yesterday took alot of her hooves and i think it was too much. milva is now sore too. sometimes i think it would be much easier to put her in a box and let her go outside just during the day - by herself, have shoes on and ride her more traditionally... i´m a bit frustrated today...

    ReplyDelete