Thursday, September 2, 2010

May I Introduce One Of My Mentors - Mark Lemke





I met Mark in the winter of 2005 at Petawawa´s annual Christmas market. Shawn and I went there for inspiration and to look at all that wonderful craftmanship.
Inspiration I truly found - in a different way than I was looking for and way more than I could ever imagine.
I guess you could say that was the birth of my Parelli journey.
I had heard about Parelli before but I guess I was just not ready for it. Like the quote says, "When the student is ready the teacher will appear".
Back to the Christmas market. Mark offered candlelight holders made out of horseshoes and everything horserelated I had to check out of course. On his displaytable he also had a Savvy magazine. While Shawn started to talk to Mark I frantically stared at that magazine and wondered what the heck SAVVY means. Of course I missed the whole conversation and was kind of baffled when I noticed both guys looking at me.
"Ha?"- was my typical response to their faces. Shawn explained that Mark had a bunch of horses and that he had told him that I was a rider. I don´t recall much of the rest of the conversation, only that Mark had invited me out to his farm to come riding.
Horses!! By that time I had been without horses for a year due to my move to Canada. I had sold Tjelver in Sweden befor my move and the man I was leaving Sweden and my horse for - my ex-fiance (I guess that´s the closest thing to marriage I ever was and will be), showed no interest in horses and wasn´t very supportive for my passion either. Living on a military base didn´t make my wish for another equine partner easier. I don´t think it would have been appropiate to have a horse in the PMQ´s.
Anyway, with Shawn the horses came back into my life. He arranged with Mark that I would come out on sunday to look at his horses.
There it was - in front of my nose, the opportunity I had been dreaming of in months - to touch and smell horses again!
Sunday came and Shawn drove me out to Mark´s farm. It was another cold winterday with alots of snow. Mark introduced me to his herd. I think it must have been around 12 horses back then. The first thing he explained to us was that the pasture is the horses home so he is not just entering it but knocking on their door instead and asking for permission to enter their home. Then he started to talk about Pat Parelli and his principles and their homeschooling program and their levels.
The more he explained the more I felt like home.
After talking and discussing for a while Mark must have found that we were on the same page and he offered me to ride any of his horses. I didn´t wear any appropiate ridingclothes nor any suitable clothes for being outside in the cold, -20 we are talking about, for several hours. But I didn´t had time to care about such small things cause I was going to ride.
Shawn left and I started to ride...after Mark had explained the 7 games to me. That day I rode 4 horses. When Shawn picked me up that evening I wouldn´t stop talking about Mark and his horses.
That winter I learned alot about Natural Horsemanship, about Parelli and about people who do Parelli. I spent alot of hours at Mark´s farm asking him questions - and he was never tired answering them but at the same time encouraging me to solve the puzzle. We had alot of discussions, watched many Savvy Club dvd´s, rode alot of trailrides in the snow by -25, played alot with his horses and drank alot of tea.
Another significant experience for me was meeting all the other Parellipeople. Coming from the competetive, english dressageriding world I wasn´t used to so much camraderie between horsepeople. It truly felt like being accepted in one big family.

10 comments:

  1. Great story, Marion! Btw, thank you so much for your order. I truly appreciate it!!!! Hope to get to meet you in person next year!

    Petra Christensen
    By the way now Parelli 2Star Junior Trainee Instructor :-)
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vilken trevlig "rese" berättelse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation to your 2** Petra! That´s so awesome! We definitely have to meet next year :)!. You are very welcome, there is more coming btw :).
    Rosa - tack :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ja verkligen fin "story"!
    Fin bild på dig och Milva i det andra inlägget! Hoppas du blir av med njurstenen snart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ja riktigt skoj att läsa :-) Hoppas allt är bra med dig.
    kram

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tack ni tva :). Nästa termin för operationen är den 16 september. Hoppas att den ge sig efter det och kommmer ut. Det är en riktigt envis sten det där och vardköerna i Sverige är inte roligt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vilken härlig story, tack för att du delar med dig!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ÅÅHH, jättekul att läsa. Tack så jättemycket :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. vad roliga ni är allihoppa :). kan inte ni ocksa berätta hur ni kom till Parelli? eller ni har kanske gjort det - ska kolla er blogs sedan ikväll.
    Caro - wie bist du den zu Parelli gekommen? Hast du darüber auf deinem Blog geschrieben? Muß mal nachschauen gehen.
    Ulrike - nur mehr 10 Tage dann kommste runter :))
    Josefin - jag ser med spänning fram till nästa vecka, Sofie nämnde nagot men sade du vet först pa riktigt nästa vecka. Iiieehhh vad spännande, jag tror nämligen jag vet vad du har för dig ;)

    ReplyDelete