Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Breakthrough!


Milva: longreining with 1 rein, walk - stop - back up transitions, sideways both direction from z5 with 1 rein and follow the rail. I had planned a liberty session with Milva but the showjumping trainer was here and riding another horse while I played with Milva. I don´t think he would have appreciated another horse turned loose ;).

Orkan: I started with a passenger lesson, which he found quite interesting and amusing. I could see him think. First he didn´t know what to make out of it but then he got into all kind of adventures - he is such a clown!
He starts to remind me more and more of Milva in a way. Today he asked lots of questions and started to offer all kind of things :))) - yeah! He had a positive expression on his face all the time, ears forwards and a very concentrated look on his face trying to figure out what I would ask next and putting really effort in pleasing me :))) - yeah!
I always try to ride with very subtle aids, looking for how little it takes to achieve my goal but be prepared to be firm if necessary.
Today I only needed a very soft sss and he stoped and when I wiggled my feed only a little bit he started to back up - withour me using the rein :))) - yeah!
I was very satisfied with todays ride.
I was less thrilled about having a second person riding while I rode. It astonish me how people make their horses numb with constantly clicking with the tongue and making all kind of other weird noises to make their horse move forward and constantly using their leg and rein, not giving the horse any time to think or react.
I could feel my irritation grow more and more, at the same time I got angry with myself because I cared what the other person did. I decided it was time to take a few minutes time out and Orkan and I went to the middle and I gave him a good scratch on his neck while I thought about the situation.
The conclusion I came up with is that I need harmony and peace around me to work with a horse properly. Positive people and positive energy. I´m just too easily distracted otherwise and can´t focus.
I rode for a little while longer staying at the other end of the arena and then called it a day.

1 comment: