Monday, May 30, 2011

Play Session Outside


I had a rather stressful week at work last week and therefor played with Milva only for short little sessions. The stress was caused by four colleagues who decided to leave work 45min earlier and left a whole floor empty. I work as a reg. nurse in a Hospice and truly love my job even though that maybe sounds macabre when you think about that it is the last place for people before they move on to the other side. Anyway those 4 people got caught by our boss who came by for a surprise visit at 9.30 pm and had to discover that half the stuff was gone. To make a long story short, those 4 got fired and the rest of us got a written warning. Why I don´t know, or well, the explanation was that we let the other people go which isn´t entirely true because we never get asked, but there is no use to discuss that matter with your superior really. Not in this case anyway.
Unfortunately those four were swedish and Swedes working in Denmark isn´t very popular to begin with. Swedes breaking the rules doesn´t really help to give them a better reputation. Luckily I always can refer to being Austrian which usually helps but mostly confuses. I´m just not sure if it helps because it confuses the danish people or because they actually like Austrians. Probably they just give up to follow me when I explain that I´m from Austria, my sambo is Canadian and we live in Sweden but me met in Canada when I lived there for 3 years. The cats are both Swedish though and Milva is from Denmark but has a pure German bloodline. Maybe they sympathize with me cause at least I have a Danish horse ;).
Anyway, I went in a shock like mood last week cause I couldn´t believe that those four really got fired. I spent most of the week talking with the Union on the phone and discuss with my remaining working colleagues. The atmosphere at work wasn´t very pleasant of course and everyone was tensed and weary.
For my part I decided to leave it and not to think to much about it anymore and just go on with my work as I did before and not to stress about it. Done is done and I have a clear conscious and didn´t do anything wrong. That´s it.
Now to a more pleasurable topic. I had a super fun play session outside with my little "danish" pony. It seems to be that the summer has returned to the south of Sweden and so I decided not to hide inside the riding arena all the time but instead use the riding paddock outside.
Milva usually doesn´t like the footing very much in that particular paddock cause it can get quite deep and she hates that. Also she can´t see over the wall that surrounds the paddock on three sides. Basically she can hear the other horses in their pasture but not see them and she doesn´t like that.
Today it was good though and I kept her busy so she would focus on me and not make up her own ghost stories. Before going to the riding paddock I did went in the riding arena and played at liberty for 10min. I also asked her to lay down. I just gave her a little sign with the carrot stick at the end of the session and she turned her head around to see if she understood me right - so darn cute, so I gave her another subtle sign and she laid down right next to me without hesitation.
After that we moseyed down to the riding paddock where I walked her around to let her check everything out -especially the grass growing on the wall-hill around it. Then I played all 7 games in order and concentrated on circles in the end. I gave her lots of grazing and scratching breaks in between which she loved and she looked all relaxed and happy through out the whole session. She also gave me some nice walk - trot - walk transitions.
For tomorrow I have planed to use the 45´again and play outside as well. Let´s see if we can solve the canter puzzle in the near future.

3 comments:

  1. Ni är en international familj ut i fingerspetsarna :-))) Mycket fin bild på lilla duktiga sweetheart!
    Och vilken text!!! Märks att det jobbar inom dig, det var ju mycket orättvist också!!!!!!
    Men men, gör det som det sägs i Buddhismus "Drop the thought"! ...
    Funkar mycket bra tycker jag, ändå ingenting att göra åt....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oj, mycket! in bild på Milva.

    ReplyDelete