Monday, April 12, 2010

Ferrier Part II

A ferrier with patient is worth a million bucks! Luckily it seems to be I´ve found one. I hoped Milva´s attitude towards her new ferrier would change when she would be trimmed in her familiar surrounding. Unfortunatelly Milva hade made up her mind about the ferrier already. As soon as she arrived the head was up in the air again and she got all tensed. In the beginning it was definitely tension and she felt not save. Who can blame her after the last time where I failed to prepare her and everything went wrong.
Anyway with lots of carrots - while chewing on them she was kind of standing still, the ferrier managed to do the 2 front hooves. We decided to do the backlegs the next time she comes by and also have less weeks inbetween trimming so Milva gets more used to her. Now we had a 8 week cycle but it´s better to have a 6 week one.
Cause after her tension was gone and she was not afraid anymore she was just being a leftbrain introvert that had made up her mind about not wanting to stand still nor give the hoof. And you can never make a lbi to do something. You have to convince them that they wanna do it.
Not giving the hoof to someone else besides me is nothing new. She did the same thing after I got her home. The first months it was only me who could pick up her hooves and no one else. She just doesn´t do it and is instead walkig away or starting to rear up.
Being a one man horse only is nothing untypical for Trakehners either. Barbara - Milva´s breeder warned me about that as well. Trakehners are known to bond closely to one person and they don´t want to do anyting for another person.
I realize that can be a problem but on the same time I´m kind of flattered. I also know I don´t make things better about not wanting anyone else to touch Milva.
Oh well it will all work out in the end. Milva will eventually getting used to her new ferrier.
And I have to say that I´m really very satisfied with her work. Coming from me that´s a big compliment cause as you all know - I´m hardly ever satisfied, but now I am :). It´s exactly how I want Milva´s hooves to look like.

1 comment:

  1. Så skönt att det ändå gick så pass bra med hovslagaren :-)

    ReplyDelete