Saturday, December 12, 2009

Day 3 After Vetvisit

I guess I don´t have to mention that I have another sleepless night behind me.
When I arrived in the stable this morning Milva came galopping towards me - she must have been hungry, and so did Orkan and Basse.
She was still limping in trott. It´s kind of hard to tell in the pasture because of all the mud but I´m pretty certain she was.
After the stable work I went for a coffebreak to Shawn´s shop.
When I came back to the stable she was inside eating straw. Of course she must be hungry now. After living for over a year with unlimited excess to haywrap suddenly she is only getting it 3 x a day.
I gave her a long brush and scratch while she was sleeping in the wintersun. I could see that she enjoyed it.
After I cleaned her hooves I tried to feel how warm her hooves were but as soon as I tried to touch them she got irritated on me. Now I don´t know if the reason is because they all hurt or because she was tired of me.
I had another closer look at her hooves again and could see that the surface of the hooves was not flat. The pediatric didn´t use the hoofrasp but the hoofknife instead and now some parts of the hooves are touching the ground and others not.
Oh I just wish this whole nightmare would be over now! I really really hate to see her in pain.
If it´s not better by tuesday I call Helene.

6 comments:

  1. Poor Milva :(

    Maybe the pediatric did this on purpose - there could be some reasons, but more in case of a chronic laminitis.
    Some barefoot trimmers also shorten the side wall a bit more than the rest.

    I think she isn't shoed? Cause barefoot hoofes tend to be warmer than shoed hoofes. Don't make you crazy because of that ;)

    In the early state of laminitis it can help a little bit to cool the hoofes, but you have to do it regularly and long.

    I think it's not a bad sign that she galopped! :)

    Caro

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could also try to support her organism with some herbs.
    I don't know the english names but you can try a mix of Ingwer, Weidenride, Ginkgo, Brennessel, Birkenblätter, Mariendistel und Hagebutte.

    Most of them you could buy pretty cheap at makana.de (hope they ship to Sweden - if not I could order it for you if you're interessted).

    My instructor has also a horse with laminitis and she feeds this herbs to her. She said it helped her horse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot another thing, I've read an article about laminitis a few days ago and there it says that you could add Magnesium (10g/day) to her diet.

    But I don't have any experience with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do add 10-20g/day of Magnesium to Star's diet, as Caro said.
    I did so many things at the same time that I don't know what worked so it could be the magnesium, but to be fair I was using the magnesium to calm her down a little, not for her feet. I heard magnesium was good for temperamental horses like mine. You could still try it, it won't hurt. I use the Equine America one.
    Sophie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. To calm down it wored pretty good last year at Sunny (actually I'm thinking about adding it again... she's really "runny" and spooky because the can't get out on the pastrue the whole day... I would wish we have better stables here in town...).

    I did some calculations on different feedings and all of them had not enough Magnesium - I think it's a good idea to add it in general when horses can't get grass and just hay.

    A good one is called "Nupafeed" and in the article they recommended "Quiessence".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks you two. I already thought about buying Dodson & Horrels herbs for lamanitis horses. She doesn´t stand like a typical laminitis horse though and she doesn´t move like one either. I think her pain is just above the hooves - actually above the right back leg. She really doesn´t want me touch her there. I can clean out her hoof but that´s pretty much it. The vet said it´s the left front though. Or well, she said she is sore on all four but more on the left front. The temperature dropped to -4 last night. Hope the hard ground doesn´t make it worse. I will look in the ridinghouse tomorrow how she is moving. I´ll let you know how it goes.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete