Sunday, August 23, 2009

Half A Round Under The Saddle

Shawn helped me with Milva today.
First I grazed her for half an hour and saddled her in the ridinghouse. Kajsa gave a lesson in there so I waited until she was finished. I started our session the figure 8s on the 22 foot line and it was going well. Did also the circling game in walk, 2 laps, change of direction online and that went fine as well. Tried some travelling circles in trott and I guess we have to work some more on that one...lol
Getting on her is going really well. She is completly standing still when I mount. Shawn walked with her a whole circle. I was sitting on her for about 10min. I could feel that she is not in balance yet but that´s normal. She is very soft to sit on though and very round. I like that!
She is still thinking alot and a bit insecure but we give her time to think and take it very slowly with her. Those first hours under the saddle are so important and I determined to do everything right with Milva! I guess that´s where most people blow their horses up when they go to fast and don´t wait until the horse is ready.
Now we always gave her carrots when I sat on her. Unfortunatelly she is getting a bit aggressiv and just thinking about carrots and invading Shawn´s space when he walks her. I told him to flap his elbows to keep her out of his space and it worked. She was getting much softer directly and had her ears in front again.
All in all I´m satisfied with our ridingsession today.
I was getting a bit angry and irritated at one of my stable collegues today. They just bought a pony two weeks ago and are very traditional ridingschool people. Nice people though just not Parellipeople and have no clue about horsebehaviour or horse psychology. Anyway, she screamed at Milva today cause Milva was telling her pony to move away. I told her NOT to scream at my horse! No one is allowed to scream at my horse! I never do! It is such a predator thing to do! She took good though which was nice to see and said she wouldn´t do it anymore. I don´t believe it but at least I have told her - and I will tell her again.
If you scream on a horse it´s like a predator growling on a prey animal! So when the horse finally starts to trust you and you shout on the horse you ruined everything again. If you have savvy there is no need to shout or scream!

1 comment:

  1. totally agree, no one should scream at your horse, that's a bit rude...
    Well done on riding Milva, how cool!! :)
    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete