Tuesday, January 11, 2011

First Ride On Milva In The NP


How many first rides can you put on a horse I wonder. Today was my first ride in the NP on Milva. I did a quick counting and came up with following: last year I rode on Milva 5 times, each time about 10min. The year before when I got her used to the saddle I sat on her for many times but we didn´t walk. It was more frienldy game from the back and I rode her twice for also for about 10min. So yes, she is still a green horse. But that´s fine. It gave her lots of time to grow physically and mentally and that´s what I wanted. Also I always remember what Milva´s breeder Barbara told me about the growth period of Trakehners. Trakehners grow until they are 7 and they mature very slow like Icelandic ponies. With that in the back of my head I think I was doing the right thing.
So back to our ride today. I started to play online like yesterday. Figure 8s with a nice slack in the line and circling game in walk and trott also with a nice slack in the line and like yesterday I didn´t had to remind her of her responsibilities. Very nice. Then Helene came in to watch us and to be there when I ride. I played a little bit more online to show Helene what we can do and then I took the halter off and did some liberty. Milva was the whole time tuned in.
After doing some more pre-ride checks I mounted. Milva stayed relaxed with her head down and didn´t care much. She sniffed my boots for a little while and then I asked her to walk. We did a bit of walk - stop transitions and then I hopped off again. I rode her for about 5 min which I think was enough for a first ride.
I have to work on the dismounting though. Because I never rode in a western saddle before I didn´t think about the horn and it was kind of in the way. Otherwise the saddle is awesome to sit in. Of course it´s very different to my former dressage saddles but I still LOVE it! It´s super comfortable and feels totally save. Also it puts you easily on your balance point. And one of the best part is that it didn´t move when I mounted.
My plan for tomorrow is to ride her again, but let´s wait and see which side of Milva shows up tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. Ni ser fantastiska ut! :-)))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roligt att få börja med ridningen i en säker sadel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Åhh vilken duktig svärdotter jag har! Tänk på mysiga promenader till sommaren när solen skiner och vi njuter för fullt!

    You go girls

    ReplyDelete
  4. ja, duktig eller hur ;), det låter mysigt med att rida ut men vi får se hur din sværdotter beter sig...
    tar in orkisen imorgon och ut igen om jag hinner annars måste malin tar ut honom.

    ReplyDelete