Monday, January 17, 2011

4th Ride

Milva bucked today! But I better start from the beginning.
I warmed her up online on the 22´foot line. As soon as we enter the ridinghouse she starts offering all kind of things like sideways towards me, backing up towards me,... I have to really watch out with my bodylanguage cause everything means something to her. She is super allert and reacts to the tiniest little thing. We started our session with figure 8´s. Right now it´s enough to set her up with the pattern and she is doing it by herself, with a nice slack in the rope, asking questions now and then. After that we did circling game. Same there, nice slack in the rope and it just took a little point with the finger for her to trott.
Then I took of the halter and we played a bit at liberty, stick to me and figure 8´s.
When Helene came in I put the NH on and we walked to the mounting block. I sat down for a little bit on the mounting block until Milva started to relax more. When she looked soft and rideable I hanged on the side on her with my hip in the saddle for a few seconds, watching her reactions and then mounted. Obviously I must have missed something cause as soon as I sat in the saddle she started to back up and buck. I did a quick emergency dismount and took care of her worries. I played a bit more on the ground and when she started to yawn I took her to mounting block again. Helene and I agreed that it´s best if I just hang on the side while she is leading Milva so Milva doesn´t feel so claustrophic and I can get off quick. We did that 2 times and Milva looked fine the third time I mounted and she was stayed calm. After walking half a round she started to blow out alot of air and kept doing that for another half round - alot of tension coming out.
The last 3 times I rode by myself but this time I asked Helene to lead us and we did another passenger lesson. The last round I rode by myself and it felt good as well.
We have to work on stopping now. Right now it´s deffinitely more go than whoa going on.
So what did I learn today? First I´m going to warm her up longer tomorrow and use the 45´rope. More friendly game on the mounting block with one foot in the stirrup and waiting, waiting, making sure she is alright and waiting for her to give me permission to mount.
Relax more in my body. Of course she is tensed when I get tensed! I know that and will try to have myself better under controll - and my breathing.
Alot to chew on tonight. So lets see how it goes tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. "Play hard, ride soft!" Pat Parelli antar jag :) Det har jag försökt tänka på med Guldgossen men det är inte alltid lätt att veta när det är färdiglekt.. Roligt att du är så igång.

    ReplyDelete