Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rein On The Bit

I did a short session in the riding house and worked on direct and indirect rein. First I just did it with the ropehalter, having my arm over her back. When she stopped I tapped her slightly with my fingers and she moved on. Change of direction with the halter worked fine after a while. I released as soon as she went in to the direction I wanted her to go.
"Close your fingers slowly and release QUICKLY". I always have Pat´s saying in my ears - especially the quickly part!
After a while I put the reins on the bit. First she thought it was awkward to have something hanging there so close to her mouth.
My initally plan was to get her used to the feel of the bit when changing direction. Softly directing her in the direction and releasing quickly as soon as she would give after.
But because she thought it was so weird I just let the reins hanging there and used the rope instead. I put a little resistance to the rein once - or well, the reins got stucked on her withers and she had a little bit of resistance. She didn´t like it much though.
Hopefully the riding house is empty tomorrow as well so I can continue.
I took her grazing too for 15min - cause I know she likes it so much and I think she needs some undemanding time too!

No comments:

Post a Comment