Monday, October 26, 2009

Chewing, Licking And Yawning

Milva and I had a very nice soft session today. We were in the ridinghouse for one hour and playing around.
I got some inspiration from the october mastery manual.
Pat Parelli is always saying Take the Time it takes. And of course you have that in your backhead when playing with the horse but to actually put it in practise is sometimes hard for me.
Linda is repeatetly saying that you have to slow down with a leftbrain introvert. But that´s soo hard sometimes.
Today I put my foccus on that and tatataaa. A whole new Milva showed up. She was more in tune with me. Asking question, offering tasks and she was chewing, licking and yawning alot.
What I did different today was to give her time to think! Even after doing the friendly game I waited until she started to chew and lick and she did :)
I read in the mastery manual about strategies for respect for the
Left Brain Introvert it says:
-yield the front end - 365 degrees until he softens in expression and attitude.
That´s what I did today. Usually I do the porcupine game just once in each direction and stop. Today I first moved her hindquarters until her expression changed and she got softer. I stopped and waited for her...and there it came the chewing, licking and yawning - big times.
-make it a game, don´t take it so seriously.
I was more relaxed today and didn´t take it too seriously if it didn´t work out that well. I also didn´t stress and just took the time it takes.
-treat your horse like he´s super smart - let him know you think he´s clever.
I rewarded her alots today and told her how smart she is. By doing that I got an awesome yoyo until the end of the 22 foot line just by wiggling my finger very slowly. She had her ears forwards to me and walked backwards with an effort. AWESOME!!
-be creative about phase 4 - a fly can get alot out of a horse (flick the flank or under the elbow for example.
-tag the spot, not the horse or he can become indignant or aggressive.
I usually have to tag the spot sometimes when doing the circling game.
-have a plan
I try to make up a plan for my playsession before going in to the ridinghouse at the same time I adress the horse that shows up.
-reward positive thoughts
That´s an important one!!
-don´t push, slow down, play a mental game and develop intensity that way.
Another very important one!
In the mastery manual Linda also mentioned how to reset your horse. For a left brain introvert it is:
Stop and wait.
When you hear him sigh, lower his head, blow, lick his lips, give him a treat/rest/scratch. But not before! You want to reward the right attitude.
Then he´ll be reset.

No comments:

Post a Comment