Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Saxon (Success) 2007/2008




It´s now three years ago that I had to put down Saxon.
Saxon was a Swedish Warmblood I bought when I moved back from Canada as a schooling master. As you can see in the pictures I abandoned Parelli for a while there.
I was horseless when I moved back to Sweden and was desperate to find a new horse. I found Saxon on the net, his owners where looking for someone who would lease Saxon. Their daughter had bought a new comptetion horse and had no use for Saxon anymore. Before that she competed him regularlly in dressage and jumping. So I tried him and of course leased him. After a few weeks the owners were talking about selling him to a ridingstable so of course I had to save him and bought him. Before I bought him he was allowed to go outside in the pasture for 1 hour a day - by himself of course. I changed that as soon as he was mine though.
Unfortunately Saxon and I made never the same connection as I have with Milva now. I felt sorry for him and that´s why bought him but there was no real "love" behind it.
Soon after I bought him I had to discover that he had Cushing Syndrom and he had to be on medication for the rest of his life.
Saxon was a right brain extrovert/introvert. I did lots of dressage and jumping training with him but he never thought it was fun really. Trailriding was almost impossible with him cause he would turn around and race home bucking all the way. No change to stop him or bend him.
Actually I think it´s because of him I don´t feel for riding anymore.It was simply not much fun and always a battle. He was a nice horse though and if I would have been doing Parelli then it probably would have been fun.
When I moved Milva and Saxon to the turn out stable I knew that there was a change that Saxon wouldn´t make it. According to the veterinary he wouldn´t have a long time to live anyway because of his sickness so I thought it´s better he lives his last couple of months to the fullest and as soon as he shows any signs of pain I will put him down and that´s what I did.
He did have a blast the last few months though and died as a happy horse at least. I think it was the first time in his competitionhorse life that he was actually allowed to live the life of a horse. No bad conscious on this end.

1 comment:

  1. Usch hoppas du har många mysigt år kvar med Milva. Bara tanken att förlora sin älskling gör ont.

    ReplyDelete