Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Oh Boy!


10 min liberty - weave patterns in walk, stick to me over cavaletti, draw towards me over cavaletti and backing up from z5 standing 6m away over 4 cavalettis :) - pretty awesome
50 min online with some Oh boy moments.
I started with liberty because Milva offered it. She is a real taskmistress and tries to please so much. If I don´t keep her busy she makes up all kind of stuff by herself.
After liberty I put the 22´rope on and we played a bit with the weave patterns at walk. I can be at the very end of the rope and weave her easily through. Figure 8s she does by herself now after sending her off. Too cute.
But then the fun started. Milva spotted a cat sitting over the A on the other end of the ridinghouse. She must have mistaken it for a mountainlion or something because she got really rbe. Not that she is afraid of cats otherwise, not likely with 25 cats in the stable. I approached the cat with a snorting Milva on the other end of the rope. I unhooked her just before getting to the cat and in the same moment she took off in full galopp. I decided to stay with the kitten while petting it and sweet talking to her. Milva´s curiosity took over and very carefully she approached us. Probably thinking if I didn´t get eaten up by now she will be kind of save too. I carried the cat to the door and released him outside. Milva carefully watching behind me.
I continued with my playsession with a now very exuberant Milva. I wish she would have picked another day to show her exuperance though because the stableowner came in to tear down the freejumping course and she decided to watch for a while and asked me if I couldn´t show her Milva´s trott and canter *cough, cough*.
I couldn´t come up with any excuse quick enough and instead switched over to the 44´rope (luckily).
I explained her that circling game hasn´t anything to do with lunging but instead encourages the horse to maintain gait, direction and looks where it is going and instead of micro managing the horse it has to show responsibility. Which earned me the first weird look. Further I explained that Milva is a lbi and therefor the circling game is a bit challenging for us. Second weird look.
I yoyo-ed Milva nicely back and asked her to walk to the left and when passing my shoulder I asked her to trott. Instead of acting like a well behaved western pleasure horse, with her head down while trotting (wishfull thinking from my side) Milva decided to show off and arched her neck, blowing out fire from her nose and carrying her tale high up like a flag and off she went, bucking and leaping around in the air. I couldn´t help and had to start loughing which gave me the third weird look and the question why I don´t stop that behaviour?? I told her that Milva needs to get it out of her system and usually she is fine afterwards and ready to have a conversation again. Only Milva decided that today was not the day where she wanted to have a conversation with me and instead played her own game with rearing up, bucking around and taking off in full galopp. Oh my. Before the stable owner left she asked if that is what we teach our horses?
What she didn´t see though was that I put more pressure on Milva after I realized that she wouldn´t listen to me and after a while my idea of slowing down became Milva´s idea and we could talk to each other again. I gave her a little rest when she came in to me and some scratches and after chewing and yawning alot I asked her to back up and to circle, this time she was relaxed in trott with her head down and good rhytm and she gave me 4 nice cirles with a slack in the rope, change of direction in trott and 4 nice circles in the other direction. How typical! Why couldn´t she show that while the stable owner was watching? Maybe I was acting different...I don´t know.
It make me realize once more though that Milva would be a very different horse with a diffent owner and that on some days she is alot of horse.

3 comments:

  1. Milva choose who she show her nice side to. Crazy but lovely girl ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, aren´t you supposed to be on your showjumping trainig right now? xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah but a bad bug stops me. Hope l can do something with O tomorrow. Me don't like the flu

    ReplyDelete