Friday, June 22, 2012

Glad Midsommar - Happy midsummer everyone!




Anita and I spent all afternoon/evening in the stable. Needless to say we were the only ones. Everyone else was out celebrating midsummer, which is huge holiday in Sweden, almost bigger than Christmas.
Anita brought her young Main Coone kitten Apache for environmental training and he got to meet Milva and Orkan.
I played with Milva a little bit at liberty and got a lovely sideways over the barrels. I could send her sideways over it from standing several meters away - yeah!
Online we played with some level 4 tasks I wanna have in my audition like longreining her in trot in the weavepattern, circling game with 3 flying lead changes,...
I could film my audition any day now BUT I really want to get her canter better on both leads. To the right she still likes to look outside, push her shoulder in and takes off.
Like Anita said she simply doesn´t have the strength, muscles nor the physics yet to stay in better balance and the right lead has always been her weaker side.
Let´s not forget that Milva is not ridden either, she is only played with on the ground. A well ridden horse has of course a better physic, more muscles and strength and therefor a better balance.
It was good to get Anita´s input on some things cause she can see things I don´t, or just got accustomed to and think it´s normal.
I´m pretty satisfied with the canter on the left lead though. It´s more balaced, relaxed, uphill and slower. We will just continue to play with the canter some more and see how much we can improve over the next few weeks.
My ropehandling needs to get better too - I´m still getting Milva or myself wrapped up in the 45´ - or I stumble over it...lol. The good thing though is that Milva always stops as soon as I got her tangled up - even if she all exuberant and bucking around. As soon as she can feel the rope between her legs or under her belly she stops and gives me the look - "again?"
I also rode on Orkan in the NH and using my bareback pad, doing 20min of passenger lesson. It was super fun! I need to watch more freestyle dvd´s though and the fluidity dvd´s as well.

After we took the horses out in the pasture again we met the stable owner and she asked me how it went so I told her about our canter challenge. Big mistake - why do I never learn to just shut up and not tell her anything. Of course she gave me her opinion which was that you need to put sidereins and a bit on a horse to get it in the right form otherwise you will never get a balanced, uphill canter and the horse will never use the right muscles.
Really? Well you just watch me....

3 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, GREAT :-)!!!! Glad midsommar :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't lisen to negativ people i saw the changes and you are on the right track. We havet horses that loves us and want to cowork with us! Thats important

    ReplyDelete