Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Follow Up Post aka "Last Will"

After lots of consideration I decided to follow up on my last post.
The reason why I decided for it is quick explained - what happens to your horse - or your animals for that matter, if you die tomorrow??
Ever thought about it? Did you make a last will considering your pets?
It´s tuff to think about it, isn´t it?
The topic "death" is very much tabu in our society. But you know as much as I do that it could happen tomorrow.
As many of you know, I work as a reg.nurse in a hospice. Patients that come to our hospital have only little time left. They come to our place because they applied for it and they are all very much aware of what´s going to happen to them.
As macabre as it sounds - I totally love my job. I know I´m an excellent nurse - professional and caring at the same time. I never take my work with me home - or I should say, usually I don´t. It sure makes it easier that I work in Denmark and live in Sweden too.
Anyway, last week we got a new patient. An old, very sweet lady who moved in wearing her stable shoes - still with horsepoop on it, stable clothes - were horses left slubbery kisses on it and lots of plastic bags coming from various tack shops. But not in her right senses anymore - or at least not all the time.
To make the story short - it´s way more complex that I can explain here. The lady is very wealthy, lived on a huge farm from 1745, no family or relatives left but some gold diggers in her baggage since september. 3 horses left on the farm, danish warmbloods under 10 years old and totally healthy. No one knew what to do with them, who feeds them or cares about them.
Good thing I can be so tremendous stubborn, unbelievable persistant and convincing and yes, ok I admit it - maybe a tiny little bit manipulative.
Fast forward the horses are save - it was close to were they were supposed to be put down. But now they are allowed to spend the rest of their life in a retirement home for horses on a danish island. Thanks to some good friends who knew the old lady from before when she still was a well known breeder. How life goes sometimes....
Another result of this story is that several collegues wrote their last will according to their pets - I sure hope they are gonna live a long and prosperous life otherwise I might be forced to open a zoo.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. Good topic. What happens to my horse when I croak? Hmmm.... I better lick and chew on that one for a while.

    ReplyDelete