Friday, April 20, 2012

Scratches, Cookies & Laughter vs. Blood, Sweat & Tears


I jokingly sent a message to our neighbour tonight asking him if he had bought icecream for me and that´s what he came over with. We sure have the best neighbour ever :).
Yesterday Milva had a day off and I took her grazing for one hour instead which she thoroughly enjoyed of course.
Today I warmed up with liberty, doing close range circles and stick to me with doing a million transitions. I´m still so in aww that she canters with me on her side.
Cornelia and her mum came in to watch me for a little bit and of course I had to show them.
Milva is really putting her whole heart in when she mirrors me, even in the back up she imitates me completly.
After Cornelia had left I played on the 45´line with the circling game, transitions and change of direction. Change of direction in trot is easy from the right to the left lead - no surprise there, from the left to the right I often get us tangled in in the rope and then I can ask her for a canter of course. Well we are gonna work on that for a while...
Later on another girl came in to lunge her horse. I decided to just take a break and sat down on the floor and scratched Milva´s had which she had lowered. Milva half slept and I observed the girl doing lots of thinking and trying to understand how those people work and wondering why they do as they do....
After the girl was done with her micromanaging lunging I decided to show her something. Yesterday I had actually talked to her about Horsemanship, Horsenalities and explained her a little bit about Parelli. She is (was?) one of them who was very much against Horsemanship. I don´t really know why though and honestly don´t care.
So anyway when she was done with her session I asked her if she has a minute because I would like to show her something.
Surely I must have been not thinking clearly why else would I ask a stranger to watch me???!!!!
Thinking about it now I must have been out of my introvert brain there for a second or two.
Anyway, I think she was as surprised than I was and said sure.
So I took of Milva´s halter and asked her for close range circles, change of directions and wide range circles doing lots of transitions, canter as well and stop and back ups of course - out on the circle, being very particular about using as subtle phases as possible - which is not very hard with Milva cause she is so sensitive and tuned in with me anyway and to finish off our sesssion I asked Milva to mirror me in trot and canter, stop, back up and sideways.
I truly enjoyed our little show off.
I told the girl that I would love to get a flying leadchange while Milva mirrors me - like cantering on a circle come in to the middle to a flying lead change and canter off in the opposite direction. I don´t believe it will be that difficult either actuallly. As soon as we have  the leadchange down we will try it.
Not sure what the girl thought or which impression we left behind - I do think she did some thinking though and that´s good enough for me.
"You can lead a horse to water but you can´t make them drink!"

No comments:

Post a Comment