Monday, August 16, 2010

Firespying Milva



Milva got her hooves trimmed today....cough, cough....My otherwise so perfect, flawless, beautiful, well behaved horse mutated into a firespying dragon.
Hm.....how intressting... I don´t know what else to say.
Milva really does not like H. As soon as she arrived at the yard, Milva put her head up and the white in her eyes came out. I could see her thinking evil thoughts. H. approached her in a polite way but too late, Milva had made up her mind and tried to kick and bite her and wouldn´t let her even come close to her.
Japp, my otherwise so soft and kind horse tried to kick and bite our ferrier. Well, it´s not the first time. She tried it as well the last time but not that serious.
H. asked me if it´s ok to give Milva some light sedation, and well I agreed on it.
H. is also our veterinary and I´m very lucky that she agreed on trimming Milva´s hooves ´cause now they are perfect. And as you maybe all know, I´m not easily to satisfy when it comes to Milva.
When I bought Milva two years ago she was not handled at all and didn´t know anything. She didn´t know what leading was, couldn´t pick up her hooves, couldn´t stand tied up,...
In the beginning it was just me who could pick up her hooves and even with me she could get worried back then when I picked up her left hind hoof - that´s where she has her Trakehnerbrand.
When I talked to other Trakehnerowners about it down in Germany, they said it´s a Trakehnerthing. Trakehners are very much one people horses and if they have made up their mind about something or someone it´s hard to convince them to the opposite - and Trakehners never forget.
So back to her hooves. Besides me, auntie Anita and Shawn are also allowed to pick up her hooves but that´s pretty much it.
I never have any problems picking up her hooves. After cleaning the first hoof she volontarily offers me the other three - one by one.
It´s not about the trailer, it´s not about the hooves....
So the question is, how to convince her that H. is her friend and not her enemy?
I came up with a solution that I think will work.
I thought I call H. tomorrow and ask her to call me whenever she has something to do at our stable or in one of our neighbourstables. If her schedule is not to tight maybe she just can drop by and say Hi to Milva and give her a treat. After a few visits she can try to just pick up her hooves and put them down again.
With Milva you have to win her heart and trust. With force or too much pressure you don´t get anywhere. It just makes things worse. Milva is just like her owner - a stubborn donkey ;).
If there would be any other good ferriers out there I would consider to change but H. is THE best one and in this case I insist that Milva is changing her attitude towards H. I´m pretty confident that my strategy will work out though. I know how my little dragonhorse ticks ;)....lol

No comments:

Post a Comment