Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Figure 8 Pattern


Milva & I have come a long way with our figure 8 pattern - even in trott.
The secret with my lbi is to get her first intressted and motivated before I ask her to do the figure 8s - or circles. As we all know, left brain introverts are thinkers and not movers. And for some it takes longer to think than for others ;).
When we do our figure 8s now I just need to send her once and then I can guide her around the cones. My guiding is a soft point in the other direction and a half step back, kind of opening the door for her to go in the other direction.
With Milva it´s often enough to use a soft phase 1 cause she is so responsive - well, most of the time, unless punky Milva is showing up but then I have to adress the horse that shows up, which is a different story.
Back to the figure 8s. After sending her off I give her the responsibility to do the figure 8s and through that I allow her to think and interact with me.
I´m not using the carrotstick after she walked off and I don´t use it for making her walk off either (see phase 1) -unless I need to. Using the carrotstick would be nagging and not giving her any responsibility which means we would not have any conversation going on.
If you don´t have any conversation with your horse you are not improving your relationship with him!!
That´s why I don´t lunge her! I often get asked why I don´t lunge. Well, because lunging is micromanaging your horse and not giving him any responsibility.
The circling game on the other hand gives your horse the responsibilitiy to maintain direction, gate and she has to look where she is going and yes, she is allowed to ask questions :).
Our next project is going to be to do the figure 8s and circles in canter - that´s going to be intressting for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment