Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ferrier Time

I was at the stable twice yesterday. I fed the horses in the morning and checked if they were all ok. When I got there all of them were grazing on the far end of the pasture. Tinka was grazing pretty close with the other ones as well. But when it was feeding time she was not allowed to eat with the them so I gave her her hay farther down. But then Basse decided she wasn´t allowed to eat there either so I gave her an extra pile of hay even farther down and that worked.
Helene came in the afternoon to do her hooves and it worked out pretty well. She got there a little bit earlier and saw me walking up to the stable with Milva following me - without the halter or leadline attacheched and Helene gave us a nice compliment about that. Well, Milva always follows me around like a dog. Stick to me is surely not a problem ;).
Helene started with the backlegs this time which was a good idea. Milva is easier to trim on the backhooves. This time it wasn´t that bad with the fronthooves either.
It think now she is getting more used to Helene. Helene also found out that it´s easier to trim her if she doesn´t hold the legs to tight or strong and that she has to hold them in a special way. What is Pat always saying - horses are claustrophobic, ...
Like when I clean Milva´s hooves I often kneel down and just put her leg on my knee without holding her much and Milva just keeps her hoof up there until I´m done cleaning.
It´s too funny how different she is treated compare to other horses in the stable.
I´m so glad Helene has such a big understanding for my Parelli pony and she really tries to find ways to cooperate with Milva.
We also had a good conversation about routines. It´s all about routines for horses. She mentioned that when she is working in Flyinge - the swedish national breeding station, they all have to treat the horses in a certain way and for exampel everyone opening the doors to the stalls in the same manner.
Milva´s hooves looks good now and Helene was very satisfied with her hoof quality :). Nice!
When we were done Milva started to chew and lik her lips alot. Lot to think about and to diagest. After the trimming when we were standing there talking, Milva walked over to Helene and stood in front of her, just looking at her and giving Helene permission to touch her neck and scratch her. Milva is really too funny, such a personality!

No comments:

Post a Comment