Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Oh Milva....




My little warrior pony got the glorious idea to protect our herd of two today and picked a fight with another mare in the turn our stable next to ours who dared to look at me. Milva reared up and got her hoof over the wall and got stuck with it, when she pulled her leg back she got this big cut you can see in the picture.
She couldn´t stand on her leg for a while and it was bleeding alot - me going RBE thought she is gonna die - yeah, I know...what you mean I´m a nurse ;)....
I called the vet and she got stitched up - 2 stitched internal and 10 outside. I did have a discussion with the vet though who was very rude and I´m sure not gonna use her anymore - not that I think she would come to us anymore anyway... She screamed at Milva! Seriously?? NO ONE, is gonna scream at my horse. I never scream at Milva so dare anyone else doing it.
I told the vet very firm but polite not to scream at my horse because she doesn´t understand what that means anyway and if she screams one more time we can quit right there. It helped - she didn´t say another word and I guess my vet bill will be much higher than it would have been otherwise.
My horse, my responsibility, my money, my rules - very simple!
I remember so many stories where horseowners get unhappy how the vets or farriers treat their  horses - well, stand up for your horse! Your horse sure can´t say anything - it is our responsibility to protect them. I don´t care what they think about me but I do care what my horse thinks about me!
A big thank you to Anita who came by with coffe and cake as soon as I mentioned that I´m waiting for the vet and stayed with me all afternoon and assisted with the treatment even though she didn´t feel so well herself.
Milva is now back with her herd and feeling much better already. She is on antibiotics and some reduced painkillers. Boxrest is not an option for us even though it was of course highly suggested.
Yeah, I know - I´m a nightmare client ;).
Thanks to all of you who sent messages during the day, especially one particular person... it sure helps to get so much support!

2 comments:

  1. Get well soon little Milva! It is much easier to be a nurse for the ones you do not love...
    Wow, what was this for a vet???!!!... Big hug to you and Milva!

    ReplyDelete