Saturday, December 3, 2011

Heart Of Gold





Principle #7
Horses teach riders, riders teach horses.

If you want to learn cutting and have never done it before, the hardest way to go about it is to get a horse that has never done it either and try to learn together.

An experienced horse can teach you a lot; he can fill in some of the gaps for you. Even if you don’t own this horse, see if you can ride him to experience how it should feel.

The same goes for when you have savvy. You’ll be able to offer the horse your skills, experience and confident leadership. You’ll be able to set him up so doing what you want is easy for him.

Don’t buy a green horse if you’re not experienced with horses. Green on green makes black and blue! Buy a horse that’s ridable and dependable. He’ll put up with your inexperience much better and you’ll enjoy your horsemanship a lot more.


We filmed my Freestyle Level 2 audition on Thursday. Orkan sure has a heart of gold and I´m totally in love with him.
He makes everything so easy and sure gave me my selfconfidence back.
I´m not 100% satisfied with the audition - no surprise there, ey.
I just feel I didn´t do justive to Orkan´s abilities, he actually can back up 9 steps on a long rein and sideways is way better than shown on the video. But for not riding for 3 years and only riding Orkan 7 times I guess it´s not that bad after all.
I could feel a big difference in my approach though. With Orkan everything was fun and I don´t take anything serious, it´s just pure play and joy.
While with Milva I´m more tight up and task orientated - which of course mirrors in her and she became this task "nazi". "Gotta do things, gotta do things". Of course she offers alot but never really relaxes either. Gotta change my approach to her a big time. Wow!
Also I didn´t take the audition very seriously with Orkan while with Milva I very much do so which of course makes me nervous and uncertain in times. With Orkan it was just,ja, ja...whatever, let´s do it. No retake in the filming and no warming up either - except on the ground of course.
Wow again, lots to learn and things to change.
After taping Shawn rode the goldenboy and rode the whole audition through. Too much fun for both of them!
And last but not least - thanks to Anita for sharing her golden boy!

1 comment:

  1. SOOOO VERY COOL, AND YES GIVE THE GOLDEN BOY A BIG HUG FOR all the fun in taping. LOVE US!!!

    ReplyDelete