Friday, February 7, 2014

Free Your Soul...

It is not that I am against competition. It is just that I cannot support it as it exists today. Correctness is never forced. Forward is not mindless running. Aids are not mechanical devices used to compel the horse's submission to the illogical will of a rider hypnotised into a rule driven obsessions.

Where is the kindness? Is fear and avoidance of pain all that is needed to train a horse? Is winning the result of buying the most expensive horse? Competition is something I cannot afford. The price of admission is too high. It is not the money (and there is that) but hidden cost to your soul.

I have chosen to free my horse from my ideas of correct and explore its happiness. My greatest happiness now comes from my decision to do this. Upon making that choice, I find it funny that the horse ends up looking like a dressage horse and performing high level work.

I favor competition which is a playful banter among friends whose love for the horse is placed first and who sees test taking as what it is; a silly ritual devised to give one something to do with the horse when you lack the imagination and education to hold an intelligent conversation with a horse.

Now, as I read this, I can see how this could be seen as a bit mean but that is not what I intended, it is just I lack enough imagination to say anything else.

1 comment: