Thursday, April 5, 2012

Trail Training & Farier

                                                    Bråvesta Quarterhorses

After watching numerous Fluidity dvds I felt the need to see a pro riding in a western sadle to get it right.
I get Parelli´s point about doing lots of passengers lessons and sitting on your balance point and so on, it just didn´t answer my questions though.
Yesterday I gave Mia Bråve a call and asked her if it would be ok if we could come and watch their trail training, after she gave me the green light I asked Cornelia and Anette to come and off we went.
Actually thinking about it, it was Anita who came up with the idea to begin with cause she suggested to take Orkan to a trail riding training. Funny enough she gave me some usefull tips about how to sit in a western sadle as well. Funny therefor because she is english through and through but she still gave me more information than Parelli did I have to admit.
One comment of her really cracked me up, when I told her about my balance problems in the NP her answer was, well that´s why western riders ride so slow....lol....
Anyway, I got all my questions answered by the pros and I got to watch them how it´s done.
Unfortunately I also got I bug in my brain now to make a trail/western horse out of Milva. I love the jog and I totally fell in love with the canter they did. Man, that looks comfy and so in harmony!!
In the morning I played with Milva outside on the sandplace and then I pested her with a short liberty session in the ridinghouse. or I should say I pested her with the canter ;).
Smart girl as she is she started to canter as soon as I asked her on the circle, took two laps and then came in. Bugger, has me all figured out and wrapped around her little hooves. Of course after offering such a nice gesture I quit our session and took her grazing.
Farier time went over my expectation well!! She really must like Philip our new farier. Just in the very beginning she tried to leave but that was when Philip tried to lift up her leg by squeezing the leg instead of the chestnud. You only have to slightly touch her chestnut and she lifts her hoof, after explaining to him she stood like a statue and didn´t try once to leave or paddle with her hoof. She just stood there like a pro, with her head down, sometimes looking back what Philip was doing and just being all relaxed. She totally buffled me with her positive attitude. Maybe she is getting all grown up now, who knows ;).

3 comments:

  1. Hoppas man inte får westernryttarna på halsen nu. :-D Milva hade älskat trial så det ska du absolut satsa på för henne. Hon behöver mycket ombyte så varför inte satsa på något ni båda hade gillat.
    Har frågat Tina om vi annars får låna Micke att visa hur man sitter i en westernsadel.
    Sen kan faktiskt Orkan gå i jogging och kort galopp det är bara det att det är roligare att springa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun. I am glad you had a great time:) XOXOO

    ReplyDelete